The District of Columbia State Board of the AOH is an Irish-American fraternal organization serving the area of the Archdiocese of Washington, D.C. This area consists of the District of Columbia and the Maryland Counties of Montgomery, Prince George’s, Charles, Calvert and Saint Mary’s. Being located in our Nation’s Capital enables us to take part and host unique experiences such as marching annually in the Washington DC St. Patrick’s Day Parade, National Pro-Life March, and hosting the Arlington National Cemetery Ceremony.
Our individual Divisions host various events, Masses, fundraisers, and social functions to promote the goals of the AOH and to promote Irish culture and heritage in the Archdiocese and beyond. Click here to learn about membership as we are always looking to have more proud Irish/Irish-Americans join our ranks!
The House adopted H.R. 4564 – Robert Emmet Park Act of 2016, sponsored by Rep. Joe Crowley (D-NY), designating “Robert Emmet Park” at the corner of 24th Street and Massachusetts Avenue NW in Washington, DC. A wonderful speech by Congressman Crowley (NY). (Video courtesy of http://www.FedNet.net)
Easter Rising Commemoration U.S. Capitol Tree Planting Ceremony- May 18, 2016. Irish Prime Minister Enda Kenny, Irish Ambassador Anne Anderson, Congressional Friends of Ireland, and other numerous members of Congress planted a tree on the Capitol grounds to commemorate the Centenary of the 1916 Easter Rising (Video courtesy of http://www.FedNet.net)
Multiple Articles on Robert Emmet Statue Re-dedication: The re-dedication ceremony was hosted in cooperation by the National Park Service, the Smithsonian Institute, the Irish Embassy, the AOH, and the IAUC on 4/27/2016. – View video of event here: https://vimeo.com/164494943
- RTE Article- Click here
- Irish Times Article- Click here
- Washington Post Article- Click here
DC State Board Christmas Party! Dec 7th at the KofC Cherry Hill hall at 9450 Cherry Hill Road College Park, MD 20740 from 4-8pm. More info here
Maryland Irish Festival- November 8-10, 2019 at Maryland State Fairgrounds (2200 York Road, Lutherville-Timonium, MD 21093)- Click Here
Irish Heritage Day at Nationals Park- Sep 29 @ 3:05pm at beaturiful Nationals Park where the Nationals with a fantastic Irish festival preceding the game at 12:30pm. See flyer below!
Alexandria Irish Festival- Aug 24, 2019 from 11am-7pm at the Waterfront Park in Old Town Alexandria (1A Prince St, Alexandria, VA 22314). Click Here for more info
Irish Music & Dance Showcase- every Labor Day weekend at Glen Echo Park (7300 MacArthur Blvd, Glen Echo, MD 20812)- Click Here
AOH DC State Board Convention- September 7, 2019 at Sacred Heart Church (Carroll Hall at 16501 Annapolis Rd, Bowie, MD 20715). Registration will start at 9:30am and the Convention will start at 10am, concluding at 4pm. All AOH paid members in Divisions under the DC State Board are eligible to attend. Mass will follow at the Sacred Heart Church at 4:30pm. A No-Host Social for Hibernians and their families will follow at the Old Bowie Town Grille (8604 Chestnut Ave Bowie, MD 20715) at 6pm.
CCE Irish Folk Festival- September 2019 from noon-6:30pm at the Sherwood Center at Van Dyck Park (3740 Old Lee Highway, Fairfax, VA 22030) and at the Auld Shabeen Pub (3971 Chain Bridge Road, Fairfax, VA 22030)- Click Here
Irish-American Heritage Month & St. Patrick’s Day Events:
- Old Town Alexandria Parade: 3/2/2019 at 12:30pm starting at King & Alfred street
- Annapolis St Patrick’s Day Parade: 3/10/2019 at 1pm starting at the West Gate Circle, along West Street, down Main street to the City Dock
- St Jerome’s Irish Festival: 3/3/2019 2-6pm featuring Irish music, dancing and a corned beef & cabbage dinner at St Jerome’s Church/School (5205 43rd Avenue, Hyattsville, MD 20781)
- St Patrick’s Day Dinner & Dance (Irish American Club): 3/15/2019 at 6:30pm at the Elks Lodge (6700 Kenilworth Avenue, Riverdale, MD 20737). Featuring a traditional Irish Dinner, The Sean Fleming Band, and Irish Dancers. $25 per adult, $10 for ages 6-12, ages 5 and under is free. Please contact PJ Fitzgerald if interested (301-928-0424).
- Gaithersburg, MD St Patrick’s Day Parade: 3/16/19 at 10am (Div 3 will be marching) at Rio Washington Center (I-370 and Washington Boulevard). Please contact Don Connolly if interested (301-213-3524)
- Pre-St Patrick’s Day Irish Social: TBD at Carroll Hall at Sacred Heart Church (16501 Annapolis Road, Bowie, MD 20715). $20 at door, children 5 & under is $5. Please contact Jim April if interested (301-928-7077). See attached flyer.
- DeMatha Celtic Night: 3/14/2019 from 6:30-9:30pm at Ledo’s Restaurant in College Park (4509 Knox Road College Park, MD 20740). Featuring Irish music and dancing!
- St Patrick’s Day Mass: 3/17/2019 at 11am at historic St Patrick’s Church (619 10th St NW, Washington, DC 20001)
- St. Patrick’s Day 2019 Celebration- Mar 17 at 2-7pm benefiting the Sisters Servants of the Lord hosted by AOH Div 3 & KofC Council 2797 ~Featuring a Three Course Irish Meal~Fun for the whole family!~Whiskey Tasting~Live Traditional Music ~Silent Auction~Culkin Irish Dancers~Kids Activities~Fire Pit & Lawn Games
Contact: Francis Moran at email@example.com for more info