The District of Columbia State Board of the AOH is an Irish-American fraternal organization serving the area of the Archdiocese of Washington, D.C. This area consists of the District of Columbia and the Maryland Counties of Montgomery, Prince George’s, Charles, Calvert and Saint Mary’s. Being located in our Nation’s Capital enables us to take part and host unique experiences such as marching annually in the Washington DC St. Patrick’s Day Parade, National Pro-Life March, and hosting the Arlington National Cemetery Ceremony.
Our individual Divisions host various events, Masses, fundraisers, and social functions to promote the goals of the AOH and to promote Irish culture and heritage in the Archdiocese and beyond. Click here to learn about membership as we are always looking to have more proud Irish join our ranks!
Hurley Feis (Irish Dance Competition)- May 28, 2017 at The Showplace Arena (14900 Pennsylvania Ave Upper Marlboro, MD 20772). A great opportunity to see over 1,100 dancers from all over the East coast with skill ranging from Beginner to Open Champion! -Click Here
Annapolis Irish Festival- June 2 & June 3, 2017 at Anne Arundel County Fairgrounds (1450 Generals Highway, Crownsville, MD 21032)- Click Here
Irish Music & Dance Showcase- every Labor Day weekend at Glen Echo Park (7300 MacArthur Blvd, Glen Echo, MD 20812)- Click Here
CCE Irish Folk Festival- September 23, 2017 from noon-7:30pm at the Sherwood Center at Van Dyck Park (3740 Old Lee Highway, Fairfax, VA 22030) and at the Auld Shabeen Pub (3971 Chain Bridge Road, Fairfax, VA 22030)- Click Here
Maryland Irish Festival- November 10-12, 2017 at Maryland State Fairgrounds (2200 York Road, Lutherville-Timonium, MD 21093)- Click Here
The House adopts H.R. 4564 – Robert Emmet Park Act of 2016, sponsored by Rep. Joe Crowley (D-NY), designating “Robert Emmet Park” at the corner of 24th Street and Massachusetts Avenue NW in Washington, DC. A wonderful speech by Congressman Crowley (NY). (Video courtesy of http://www.FedNet.net)
Easter Rising Commemoration U.S. Capitol Tree Planting Ceremony- May 18, 2016. Irish Prime Minister Enda Kenny, Irish Ambassador Anne Anderson, Congressional Friends of Ireland, and other numerous members of Congress planted a tree on the Capitol grounds to commemorate the Centenary of the 1916 Easter Rising (Video courtesy of http://www.FedNet.net)
Multiple Articles on Robert Emmet Statue Re-dedication: The re-dedication ceremony was hosted in cooperation by the National Park Service, the Smithsonian Institute, the Irish Embassy, the AOH, and the IAUC on 4/27/2016. – View video of event here: https://vimeo.com/164494943
Archbishop John Hughes Memorial: The AOH, Friendly Sons of St. Patrick, and Knights of Columbus worked together to honor Archbishop Hughes, who was instrumental in the early days of the AOH at the Basilica of Old St. Patrick’s Cathedral, with fine monument in his honor- Click Here for More Info
New Irish Studies Program in DC: The Catholic University of America (CUA) is now offering a new Certificate in Irish studies! It is being offered as an undergraduate program for CUA students focusing on the languages and culture of Ireland from a variety of scholarly perspectives. Click here to read program history Click here to read about Irish Studies Certificate
Press Release from our AOH National Anti-Defamation Chairman concerning the British Channel 4 TV Commissioning a Comedy Based on “The Great Hunger” (An Gorta Mor): Click Here – UPDATE – on 1/6/2016 Channel 4 stated that it no longer has plans to produce this show –Click here to read more
Display Ship Barry’s Departure from the Navy Yard in Washington, DC: Click Here to see article concerning the departure and scrapping of the DS Barry and the departure ceremony on October 17, 2015
In Memoriam: It is with great sadness that we lost a fellow DC Hibernian in John McInerney on 5/7/2014. He was a fine Catholic gentleman who was inspirational to many in the AOH across the nation. He was responsible for the organization of many DC AOH events and most notably was a key figure, along with Jack O’Brien, in the Commodore John Barry project which was celebrated this May 10th. May we all strive to be like John and keep him fondly in our memories.
John was honored posthumously as a Grand Marshal in the 2015 Washington, DC St. Patrick’s Day Parade.
IT’S TIME TO PURCHASE YOUR TICKETS!
Bring your friends, your neighbors, your family, and your co-workers!
Enjoy your Irish Heritage with dancers, pipers, bands, food and drink with the Washington Nationals.
TUESDAY, MAY 2, 2017
5:00 P.M. – IRISH FESTIVAL
7:00 P.M. – GAME
Discounted Tickets ONLY at www.nationals.com/Irish
Use Promo Code: IRISH
$20 – Scoreboard Pavilion
$28 – Outfield Reserved
$50 – Baseline Reserved
(Baseline Reserved ticket includes access to Pregame VIP Party Tent – access to the pregame Irish festival where you will be able to sample food and drink from local Irish bars and restaurants & the Irish Embassy)
Proceeds from this event go to support the Alexandria, DC & Baltimore parades and the Irish Show. If you have questions or would like to volunteer to help at the game please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Irish-American Heritage Month & St. Patrick’s Day Events:
- Old Town Alexandria Parade: 3/4/2017 at 12:30pm starting at King & Alfred street
- Annapolis St Patrick’s Day Parade: 3/5/2017 at 1pm starting at the West Gate Circle, along West Street, down Main street to the City Dock
- St Jerome’s Irish Festival: 3/5/2017 2-6pm featuring Irish music, dancing and a corned beef & cabbage dinner at St Jerome’s Church/School (5205 43rd Avenue, Hyattsville, MD 20781)
- St Patrick’s Day Dinner & Dance (Irish American Club): 3/10/2017 at 6:30pm at the Elks Lodge (6700 Kenilworth Avenue, Riverdale, MD 20737). Featuring a traditional Irish Dinner, The Sean Fleming Band, and the Culkin School Irish Dancers. $25 per adult, $10 for ages 6-12, ages 5 and under is free. Please contact PJ Fitzgerald if interested (301-928-0424). See attached flyer.
- Gaithersburg, MD St Patrick’s Day Parade: 3/11/2017 at 10am (Div 3 will be marching) at Rio Washington Center (I-370 and Washington Boulevard). Please contact Don Connolly if interested (301-213-3524)
- Pre-St Patrick’s Day Irish Social: 3/11/2017 at 5:30pm at Carroll Hall at Sacred Heart Church (16501 Annapolis Road, Bowie, MD 20715). $20 at door, children 5 & under is $5. Please contact Jim April if interested (301-928-7077). See attached flyer.
- Washington, DC St Patrick’s Day Parade: 3/12/2017 at 12noon (Will have a float and marching). Float will be staged at 7th and Madison on the mall and a fine tail-gate feast will follow immediately after parade. Contact Ralph Day if interested (301-275-9030)
- DeMatha Celtic Night: 3/12/2017 from 3 to 7pm at Ledo’s Restaurant in College Park (4509 Knox Road College Park, MD 20740). Featuring Irish music and dancing!
- St Patrick’s Day Mass: 3/17/2017 at 11am at historic St Patrick’s Church (619 10th St NW, Washington, DC 20001)
- St Patrick’s Day Celebration: 3/17/2017 at 4pm (appr.) with dinner being served with Irish dancers starting at 7:30pm at KofC Rosensteel Hall (9707 Rosensteel Hall, Silver Spring, MD 20910). Contact Stephen Sullivan if interested (718-578-7336)
- Arlington National Cemetery Ceremony: Details are yet to be determined but will be communicated soon
Pro-Life Mass at St. Mary Mother of God (5th Street NW) (Friday, January 27th 9:00am): A Hibernian Mass will be celebrated immediately prior to our annual Pro-Life Breakfast. Collection will be donated to St. Mary’s for use of the Church.
Pro-Life Breakfast at Irish Channel DC (5th Street NW) (January 27th 9:30am): Our annual Pro-Life Breakfast will start at 9:30 following mass. Please beat the bushes for attendance as we try to make this the best attended year to date. $25/pp for this great hot buffet and pro-life speakers. Join us for the march after breakfast.
AOH/LAOH DC State Board Christmas Party featuring a fine Christmas feast for a price of $20 per person ($10 for kids under age 10) and a live performance by the Culkin School of Dance bringing you into the Christmas spirit! Please RSVP to attend: email@example.com
Maryland Irish Festival featuring four stages of musical performers, vendors, fine Irish food & drink, and great entertainment for children! It’s a great time and is worth coming out!
The largest Irish festival in MD is held at the MD State Fairgrounds in Timonium, MD on Nov 11-13, 2016. We’re looking for volunteers! Contact Bob April for more info: firstname.lastname@example.org
For tickets and more information: http://irishfestival.com.s141542.gridserver.com/ ———————–