The District of Columbia State Board of the AOH is an Irish-American fraternal organization serving the area of the Archdiocese of Washington, D.C. This area consists of the District of Columbia and the Maryland Counties of Montgomery, Prince George’s, Charles, Calvert and Saint Mary’s. Being located in our Nation’s Capital enables us to take part and host unique experiences such as marching annually in the Washington DC St. Patrick’s Day Parade, National Pro-Life March, and hosting the Arlington National Cemetery Ceremony.
Our individual Divisions host various events, Masses, fundraisers, and social functions to promote the goals of the AOH and to promote Irish culture and heritage in the Archdiocese and beyond. Click here to learn about membership as we are always looking to have more proud Irish/Irish-Americans join our ranks!
Irish Heritage Day at Nationals Park- September 23 at Nationals Park (1500 S. Capitol Street SE Washington, DC 20003). Irish Heritage Day at Nats Park is represented proudly as the Nationals play against the NY Mets at 1:35pm! VIP Tickets are available to purchase and include access to the pregame festival with food & drinks from Ireland and live Irish entertainment from 11am-1pm at the First Street Party Tent! Click here to Buy Tickets!
Alexandria Irish Festival- Aug 25, 2018 from 11am-7pm at the Waterfront Park in Old Town Alexandria (1A Prince St, Alexandria, VA 22314). Click Here for more info
Irish Music & Dance Showcase- every Labor Day weekend at Glen Echo Park (7300 MacArthur Blvd, Glen Echo, MD 20812)- Click Here for more info
CCE Irish Folk Festival- September 22, 2018 from noon-6:30pm at the Sherwood Center at Van Dyck Park (3740 Old Lee Highway, Fairfax, VA 22030) and at the Auld Shabeen Pub (3971 Chain Bridge Road, Fairfax, VA 22030)- Click Here for more info
Maryland Irish Festival- November 9-11, 2018 at Maryland State Fairgrounds (2200 York Road, Lutherville-Timonium, MD 21093). Featuring four stages of musical performers, vendors, fine Irish food & drink, and great entertainment for children! It’s a great time and is worth coming out!- Click here for more info
The House adopts H.R. 4564 – Robert Emmet Park Act of 2016, sponsored by Rep. Joe Crowley (D-NY), designating “Robert Emmet Park” at the corner of 24th Street and Massachusetts Avenue NW in Washington, DC. A wonderful speech by Congressman Crowley (NY). (Video courtesy of http://www.FedNet.net)
Easter Rising Commemoration U.S. Capitol Tree Planting Ceremony- May 18, 2016. Irish Prime Minister Enda Kenny, Irish Ambassador Anne Anderson, Congressional Friends of Ireland, and other numerous members of Congress planted a tree on the Capitol grounds to commemorate the Centenary of the 1916 Easter Rising (Video courtesy of http://www.FedNet.net)
Multiple Articles on Robert Emmet Statue Re-dedication: The re-dedication ceremony was hosted in cooperation by the National Park Service, the Smithsonian Institute, the Irish Embassy, the AOH, and the IAUC on 4/27/2016. – View video of event here: https://vimeo.com/164494943
Archbishop John Hughes Memorial: The AOH, Friendly Sons of St. Patrick, and Knights of Columbus worked together to honor Archbishop Hughes, who was instrumental in the early days of the AOH at the Basilica of Old St. Patrick’s Cathedral, with fine monument in his honor- Click Here for More Info
New Irish Studies Program in DC: The Catholic University of America (CUA) is now offering a new Certificate in Irish studies! It is being offered as an undergraduate program for CUA students focusing on the languages and culture of Ireland from a variety of scholarly perspectives. Click here to read program history Click here to read about Irish Studies Certificate
Press Release from our AOH National Anti-Defamation Chairman concerning the British Channel 4 TV Commissioning a Comedy Based on “The Great Hunger” (An Gorta Mor): Click Here – UPDATE – on 1/6/2016 Channel 4 stated that it no longer has plans to produce this show –Click here to read more
Display Ship Barry’s Departure from the Navy Yard in Washington, DC: Click Here to see article concerning the departure and scrapping of the DS Barry and the departure ceremony on October 17, 2015
In Memoriam: It is with great sadness that we lost a fellow DC Hibernian in John McInerney on 5/7/2014. He was a fine Catholic gentleman who was inspirational to many in the AOH across the nation. He was responsible for the organization of many DC AOH events and most notably was a key figure, along with Jack O’Brien, in the Commodore John Barry project which was celebrated this May 10th. May we all strive to be like John and keep him fondly in our memories.
John was honored posthumously as a Grand Marshal in the 2015 Washington, DC St. Patrick’s Day Parade.
Annapolis Irish Festival- Come on out for a great outdoor Irish Festival! June 1 & June 2, 2018 at Anne Arundel County Fairgrounds (1450 Generals Highway, Crownsville, MD 21032)- Click here for more info
Irish-American Heritage Month & St. Patrick’s Day Events:
- Capital Irish Film Festival: 3/1 to 3/4/2018 featuring Irish movies all weekend long at the AFI Silver Theatre (8633 Colesville Rd, Silver Spring, MD 20910). Tickets will be sold on site. The Irish Ambassador and the Northern Ireland Bureau Director will be present ( http://www.solasnua.org/ciff/ )
- Old Town Alexandria Parade: 3/3/2018 at 12:15pm starting at King & Alfred street in Alexandria, VA ( http://www.ballyshaners.org/parade/ )
- St Jerome’s Irish Festival (AOH Division 4 assisting): 3/4/2018 at 2-4pm featuring Irish music, dancing and a corned beef & cabbage dinner at St Jerome’s Church/School (5205 43rd Avenue, Hyattsville, MD 20781). See attached flyer below.
- St Patrick’s Day Dinner & Dance (Irish American Club): 3/9/2018 at 6:30pm at the Elks Lodge (6700 Kenilworth Avenue, Riverdale, MD 20737). Featuring a traditional Irish Dinner, The Sean Fleming Band, and the Culkin School Irish Dancers. $25 for age 13+, $10 for ages 6-12, ages 5 and under is free. Please contact PJ Fitzgerald if interested (301-928-0424 or irishamericanclubdc@gmail.
- Gaithersburg, MD St Patrick’s Day Parade: 3/10/2018 at 10am (Div 3 will be marching) at Rio Washington Center (I-370 and Washington Boulevard). Please contact Don Connolly if interested (301-213-3524)
- Washington, DC St Patrick’s Day Parade: 3/11/2018 at 12noon (Will have a float and marching). Float will be staged at 7th and Madison on the mall and a fine tail-gate feast will follow immediately after parade. Contact Ralph Day if interested (301-275-9030)
- Annapolis St Patrick’s Day Parade: 3/11/2018 at 1pm starting at the West Gate Circle, along West Street, down Main street to the City Dock
- DeMatha Celtic Celebration: 3/11/2018 at 3-7pm at Ledo’s (4509 Knox Rd, College Park, MD 20740). Admission is free and will feature music by Pat Garvey and the introduction of the ‘Loon-Dawg,’ a tribute beer in honor of the late Brendan Looney ’99.
- Solemnity of St Patrick: 3/16/2018 at 11:30am at historic St Patrick’s Church (619 10th St NW, Washington, DC 20001)
- St Patrick’s Day Irish Social (AOH Division 2): 3/17/2018 at noon-9pm at Carroll Hall at Sacred Heart Church (Boswell Hall at 6111 Columbian Way, Bowie, MD 20715). $10 per person, $30 per family. Live Irish music w/platter meal options of Corned Beef or Rueben sandwiches. Please contact Jim April if interested (301-928-7077). See attached flyer below.
- St Patrick’s Day Celebration (AOH Div 3): 3/17/2018 at 5:30 to 10:30pm with dinner being served at 7pm. Irish dancers, 3 course meal, fun for children as well! At KofC Rosensteel Hall (9707 Rosensteel Hall, Silver Spring, MD 20910). Contact Francis Moran if interested (301-412-4266). Reserve tickets in advance online at www.aohkoc.eventbrite.com !
Pro-Life Breakfast at Irish Channel DC (5th Street NW) (January 19th 9:00am): Our annual Pro-Life Breakfast will start at 9:00 am. Please beat the bushes for attendance as we try to make this the best attended year to date. $25/pp for this great hot buffet and pro-life speakers. Join us for the march after breakfast.